Hi there, I’m Liyat!
As a young girl, I remember sitting by my parents’ bookshelf at home in Ethiopia browsing through photo albums of families, weddings, births, travels and friendships. My passion for photography was born there.
Today, I’m a lifestyle and family photographer living and working in Melbourne, Australia. What began my interest in family photography is when I became a mother myself. I have two young boys and I realised how quickly they were growing and changing. My camera became my time stamp of their development and so began my interest in capturing the true essence of families in Melbourne.
I live in an inner-city suburb and believe it or not there are many gardens and parks around. For someone like me who loves walking around and capturing nature with a camera, it is so rejuvenating. As a portrait photographer, I include this love for nature by inviting families to do their shoot at gardens and parks.
My photography style is documentary lifestyle. I prefer it when families look at each other instead of the camera. I’m happy if it happens naturally and they look my way during a conversation. This enables me to do what I love, which is capturing the true essence of humans. At a family session, I often find myself running around with children as they play and have fun. This is when their real smiles come out, which just makes my heart sing! So what are you waiting for? Get in touch!
AWARDS & COMMENDATIONS
- Australian Photography magazine online – Great Outdoors – Shortlisted – 2021
- Viewbug – The Family Moment – Runner Up – 2020
- MIRFAK – Mother – Expert Commended – 2019
- Australian Photography magazine online – Beauty – Shortlisted – 2019
- DCPOTY – Street Seen – Expert Commended – 2018
- CEPIC – Wildlife – Expert Commended – 2018
- Robert Harding – Inspiring Travel – Expert Commended – 2017
- Oh Snap! Gallery Exhibition – Group show | Melbourne, Australia – 2017
- SPARK! THE FUTURE – Group show | Sydney, Australia – 2013