Hi, I’m Liyat!
As a young girl, I remember sitting by my parents’ bookshelf at home in Ethiopia browsing through photo albums of families, weddings, births, travels and friendships. My passion for photography was born there.
Today, I’m a lifestyle and family photographer living and working in Melbourne, Australia. What began my interest in family photography was when I became a mother myself. I realised how quickly my boys were growing and changing. My camera became a time stamp of their development and so began my interest in creating fun, heart-warming imagery for families, couples and individuals in Melbourne.
I live in an inner-city suburb of Melbourne where they are many gardens and parks. For someone who loves being amongst nature, it is a perfect setting. As a people photographer, I include this love of nature by inviting families, couples and individuals to have their photography session outdoors. In the winter months, indoor sessions are also a great option to keep the kiddies warm as I document everyday moments in their home.
My photography style is documentary lifestyle. I prefer it when families look at each other instead of the camera. When it happens naturally, it’s perfect. Anyway, enough from me, let me know what kind of photography session you’re after.
AWARDS & COMMENDATIONS
- Australian Photography magazine online – Great Outdoors – Shortlisted – 2021
- Viewbug – The Family Moment – Runner Up – 2020
- MIRFAK – Mother – Expert Commended – 2019
- Australian Photography magazine online – Beauty – Shortlisted – 2019
- DCPOTY – Street Seen – Expert Commended – 2019
- CEPIC – Wildlife – Expert Commended – 2018
- Robert Harding – Inspiring Travel – Expert Commended – 2017
- Oh Snap! Gallery Exhibition – Group show | Melbourne, Australia – 2017
- SPARK! THE FUTURE – Group show | Sydney, Australia – 2013